The date of the Sainte-Trinité church, 1759, can be read on the four wrought iron tie rods at the corners of the facade. At that time, the interior was not finished, its decoration dates from 1847.
A NEW NEEDLE AMONG THE PEAKS…
Before 1760, Les Contamines was only the “upper district” of the parish of Saint-Nicolas-de-Véroce… It was not until 1766 that the Church dedicated to the Holy Trinity was consecrated. The site is not chosen at random: the church is located on the ruins of the castle of Montjoie, a medieval stronghold. The bell tower, built on an old castle tower, was initially topped with a simple four-sided roof. After the Napoleonic period, it is surmounted by an octagonal lantern, a flattened bulb and a needle of great finesse which rises between the Dômes de Miage and Mont-Joly!
OPEN THE GATE OF HEAVEN!
The facade is structured by four tuff pilasters, surmounted by Corinthian capitals supporting a molded entablature. Dressing the space, two floral cartridges surmount the niches where Saint Peter and Saint Paul are sheltered. To accentuate the symbol of the door to Heaven that is the church, the porch is magnified by a set of harmonious curves: the arches of its tympanum frame the statue of the Good Shepherd, surmounted by a serlienne (triple bay) and the semicircular arch of the entablature.
The door, designed by the sculptor Albertini, who came from the Piedmontese valley of Sesia, presents cartridges of great finesse executed by Hudry and Pagnez, local craftsmen from Viuz-en-Sallaz. Portal and statues of the facade are listed as historical monuments. Protecting everything, the wide eaves are adorned with a cross of Saint Maurice and the sorrowful face of Christ as well as the dove of the Holy Spirit. In the center, the eye of Providence, in a triangle surrounded by rays of light, reminds us that God sees everything!
Two symmetrical side altarpieces are arranged obliquely. Their three compartments accommodate polychrome wooden statues: on the left, that of the Rosary, crowned by the heart of Mary surrounded by four cherubs and golden rays, presents a Virgin and Child accompanied by Saint Margaret and Saint Agatha; on the right, that of Saint Joseph is crowned by the eye of Providence, also with angels and rays. Saint Joseph is surrounded by Saint Peter holding up the key and Saint Paul holding the sword.
THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THE NAVE!
The paintings in the vaults from 1881 depict Saint François-de-Sales and Saint Guérin, the four evangelists, then Jesus and the Last Supper and, in the choir, Christ who blesses. At the key of the triumphal arch, separating nave and choir, hangs a moving Christ on the cross with a serene face, probably the work of the authors of the door. Three baroque angels collect the blood flowing from the wounds of the crucified…
A SCULPTED DECOR IN DELICATE COLORS
The original altarpieces designed by Albertini suffered during the revolutionary era. Those rebuilt in 1840, neoclassical, reuse some previous elements, such as cherubs. The main altarpiece stands on three levels. The delicate polychrome upper floor presents a crowned heart in the center of a medallion surrounded by gold rays. Four chubby angels play the trumpet on the entablature which rests on six smooth jasper-coloured columns. In the center, the tabernacle, almost too majestic, partly hides the painting of the Holy Trinity.
- Religious Heritage
In the heart of the village of Contamines-Montjoie.
Individual visit services
- Unguided individual tours permanently
- Guided individual tours on request
Group visits services
- Unguided group tours permanently
- Guided group tours on request
|Opening hours from January 01 to December 31, 2023|